Houston Car Accident Attorney
If you or someone you know has recently been injured in a car accident due to the negligent, reckless, or criminal actions of another individual, it is imperative that you retain immediate representation. While you focus on your recovery, we will focus on maximizing your compensation.
If you have been injured in a car accident, protect your rights by taking the proper steps:
- Document and photograph everything. Keep copies of important records and reports. Take photos of your injuries and the scene of the accident. Write down the names and phone numbers of eyewitnesses and all other individuals involved.
- Protect your case by guarding what you say about it. Don't discuss the case extensively with friends and coworkers, and do not admit or accept blame at any time. The less you say about your case, the better your chances of an equitable outcome.
- Speak with a knowledgeable car accident lawyer. Receive individual counsel and help from a seasoned professional as soon as possible. It is important that you receive the advice you need to make informed decisions and to move forward if possible.
Trucking Accidents in Houston
What are federal trucking regulations & how do they affect my accident case?
The federal government restricts the actions of commercial trucking companies and drivers because these vehicles are large, heavy, and can pose a danger to other drivers. Commercial trucks can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds and have wider turning radiuses and bigger blind spots than conventional vehicles. The sheer size and bulk of these vehicles mean that they could put other cars at risk. In order to minimize this risk, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has established a number of guidelines.
Among other stipulations, the FMCSA requires truck drivers and trucking companies to:
- Minimize the number of hours drivers may be on the road before taking a rest stop
- Ensure that all drivers receive the proper training and instruction
- Maintain high standards of care and safety for each vehicle
- Enforce a zero tolerance policy when it comes to drugs and alcohol
- Keep loads under the maximum weight limit
Rich Melendez is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Personal Injury Law.
Of the over 100,000 Attorneys licensed in Texas, only 7,450 have earned the label 'Board Certified.'
Certifications as a Board Certified Specialist requires trial experience, the recommendation of peers, and testing.